Houthi drone attack on Saudi oilfield causes gas fire, output unaffected
Addis Ababa, August 17, 2019 (FBC) – A drone attack launched by Yemen’s Houthi group on an oil field in eastern Saudi Arabia on Saturday caused a limited fire at a gas plant but had no impact on oil production, state-run oil company Saudi Aramco said.
A Houthi military spokesman said earlier on Saturday that the group had targeted the Shaybah oil field with 10 drones, in what he said was the “biggest attack in the depths” of the kingdom, the world’s top oil exporter, by the Iran-aligned group.
Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih described Shaybah as a “vital facility”.
“The target of this attack is the safety of global oil supply, not just the kingdom; it constitutes a threat to the global economy,” he said in comments published by the official Saudi Press Agency.
Saudi Aramco said there were no injuries and no interruptions to oil operations.
“Saudi Aramco’s response team controlled a limited fire this morning at the Shaybah NGL (natural gas liquids) facility,” the company said in a statement.