Fana: At a Speed of Life!

Ethiopia to allow two international bidders to join telecom market

0 3,486

Addis Ababa, July 5, 2019 (FBC) – The Government of Ethiopia is set to open its telecom market for two international telecom operators.

State Minister of Finance, Dr Eyob Tekalign, today briefed the media about the current status of privatization process of Ethio-telecom and sugar factories.

As per the direction set by the government, two international telecom companies will join the telecom market in Ethiopia through bid, in addition to Ethio-telecom, he said.

Ethio-telecom will be privatized with the Government of Ethiopia having 51% of the share. The remaining 49% share will be controlled by the winning companies.

He further announced that Ethio-telecom has been split into two roles, namely an infrastructure provider and telecom services provider.

The infrastructure sector is tasked with installing optical cable and building cell phone towers. The service provider is responsible for selling cell phone, internet and fixed-line services.

The two sectors are open for bidders, according to the State Minister.

He said the two international companies are expected to join Ethiopia’s telecom market early 2020.

As far as sugar factories are concerned, the state minister said the Government is preparing a law that helps to regulate the production, import, and export of sugar products.

According to Dr Eyob, a number of local and international companies have expressed interest to join Ethiopia’s sugar industry.

Out of the total 13 sugar factories, the government plans to privatize five or six factories within the coming 6-12 months.

Comments
Loading...