Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund forms Board of Directors
Addis Ababa, May 20, 2019 (FBC) – The Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund (EDTF) has formed a Board of Directors comprising 11 persons drawn from the Ethiopian Diaspora, Civil Society and the Ethiopian Government.
The Board of Directors is the apex governance body which will provide overall leadership and set the strategic direction, policy, oversight, and accountability of the EDTF, according to office of the Prime Minister.
It will, among others, review and approve EDTF financed projects that are identified and vetted by the EDTF Secretariat.
The Board will comprise of eleven persons drawn from the Ethiopian Diaspora, Civil Society and the Ethiopian Government, as follows:
-five members of the Ethiopian Diaspora from different parts of the globe recommended by the EDTF Advisory Council,
- three members of Civil Society representing women, youth and the Ethiopian public; and
- three members of the Ethiopian Government.
The following will constitute the first EDTF Board of Directors:
- Sirgut Yadeta, Editorial Lead, Lloyds Bank Group, London, U.K., representing diaspora in Europe;
- Dr. Mehret Mandefro, Founder and President, Truth Aid and Executive Producer, Director of Social Impact, Kana Television, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, representing diaspora in North America,
- Chernet Debele, Founder and General Manager, Kia Travel & Business LLC, Maryland, USA, representing diaspora in North America,
- Yohannes Asefa, Director, Agriculture & Agribusiness, USAID East Africa Trade and Investment Hub, Nairobi, Kenya, representing diaspora in Africa,
- Dr. Abdulwehab Ibrahim, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Engineering, Technology and Science, Abu Dhabi, UAE, representing diaspora in the Middle East;
- Sister Zebider Zewdie, Founder and Executive Director of Mary Joy Ethiopia, representing women,
- The representative of Youth to be reviewed and appointed by the Board;
- Mr. EyesusWork Zafu, Chairman of the Board of Directors of United Bank, representing the Ethiopian public;
- Selamawit Dawit, Director General, Ethiopian Diaspora Agency, representing the Ethiopian Government;
- Hirut Zemene, State Minister, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Bilen Mamo, Advisor, Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation
The Board will select its Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson as well as relevant committee members required to discharge its duties.